Thames, North Island, New Zealand
January 21, 2012 1:17 am
Hi. I’ve been trying to search for images of an insect that is increasing in numbers in my vege garden, but so far I’ve been unable to identify it. Perhaps you could help, or point me to a place where I can browse through photos of insects. I think it is a moth, judging from the way it flies. I live in Thames, New Zealand. Thank you very much. (2 photos attached)
Signature: Dave Clingman

Passion Vine Hopper

Hi Dave,
Though it is moth-like, this insect is actually a Planthopper, probably a Passion Vine Hopper,
Scolypopa australis, which we identified on the Brisbane Insect Websitewhere it states:  “They are common in Brisbane bushes and gardens. When disturbed, they jumped away with a loud ‘click’ sound and disappeared in the air.  Many of them can be found resting on the same plant during early summer. They are consider as pest on passion vine and kiwifruit. It seems that besides those vine plants, they feed on many other plants as well.”  The smaller creatures in your second photo might be immature Passion Vine Hoppers.

Passion Vine Hopper

Location: New Zealand