Crowned Caterpillar
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cant Identify this caterpillar, presumably, related to Crowned Caterpillar and Moth.
Signature: Does not matter

Possibly Stinging Slug Caterpillar

Dear Does not matter,
While we could not identify your species, and it is not pictured on the Thai Bugs Caterpillar page, it is our opinion that this is one of the Stinging Slug Caterpillars in the family Limacodidae.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with a species identification.

Correction Courtesy of Karl
January 15, 2011
Hi Daniel and Does not matter:
This appears to be another of those Archduke butterfly caterpillars in the genus Lexias. For comparison, see the previous submission by Steven Gehner that was commented on by myself and Keith Wolfe. I am not sure if it is L. pardalis, L. dirtea, L. pardalis dirteana or something else that is closely related, but it is in there somewhere. Keith Wolfe referred to it as the Black-tipped Archduke (L. dirtea).  Regards.  Karl

Location: Thailand

8 Responses to Archduke Caterpillar from Thailand, NOT Slug Moth Caterpillar

1. Drhoz says:

http://www.photographythailand.com/Forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1393 seems an even closer match than the slug caterpillar given. Seems to be another Limacodid though.

2. Rasdra says:

There’s no ‘possible’ about it, its definitely a stinging caterpillar. I found this out after putting my weight on one with the palm of my hand. I hadn’t seen it, but the immediate fiery pain let me know of the presence of this caterpillar. If you get stung it burns like particularly painful nettles for around 5-10 minutes. The only other symptoms were the area was purple and sore for a couple of days but healed with no other problems.

Seen in Amphoe Umphang, Tak district in the West of Thailand near to the Myanmar border on a banana tree. Along with other huge and deadly looking insects and spiders..

3. Patti Mahlum says:

I got several beautiful pictures of this caterpillar in Pai Thailand

4. This looks exactly like what we see in the rainforest in Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo). We know it stings and tell tourists to be careful.