Anyone know what this pretty bug is?
Location: South Florida
This bug was in our backyard. It caught my attention because it seemed to be having problems flying. I video taped it walking in circles ”dragging” it’s butt. When my Black Lab went to check it out it did fly a little but never went up in the air. It then just kept fluttering it’s wings like a warning for my Lab to go away. FYI .. My Lab didn’t hurt it. 🙂
Signature: Donna

Xylophanes pluto

Dear Donna,
We are so sorry for the delay.  Though we are posting your letter quite late, we are thrilled to be able to include it in our archive which prior to your letter had only one photo of this moth.  This is a Sphinx Moth,
Xylophanes pluto, a lovely moth that is found in Florida and South Texas and tropical countries to the south according to the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  Thank you for including a side view that shows the yellow coloration on the underside of the body.  We are copying Bill Oehlke on our response and he may request additional information from you for the comprehensive database he has compiled on Sphinx Moths in North America.  We suspect this is a newly metamorphosed individual that recently emerged from its underground pupa.  It might have been waiting for its wings to fully expand, dry and harden before embarking on its maiden flight.

Xylophanes pluto

Location: Florida