Wasp?
Location: Perth, Western Australia
December 21, 2011 2:30 am
I was wondering if you can identify this wasp or fly for me. It was on my clothes line on a peg at 7am on 20/12/11. It was quite big – 3cm not including the antenna, and was photographed in Perth, Western Australia.
Signature: Jennifer O

Sawfly, possibly

Dear Jennifer O,
In our opinion, this appears to be a Sawfly.  Sawflies are in the same order, Hymenoptera, as Wasps, Bees and Ants, but Sawflies do not sting.  We cannot find a match on the Brisbane Insect website, nor did we find a convincing match on the Lifeunseen website.  The Australian Museum website indicates there are 176 species in Australia.  Larvae of Sawflies are sometimes mistaken for caterpillars and they are communal feeders that may defoliate plants if they are especially numerous.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to either correct our identification or provide a matching online image that may identify the species.

Unknown Sawfly, we believe

Location: Australia

One Response to Australian Sawfly, we believe

1. Hi. Thanks to everyone for clarification. My bottlebrush trees have been eaten to sticks by sawflys. I have also seen the final result..the gorgeous “wasp”. I’ll probably just plant something else and let nature take it course. Who am I to judge.