Dock Spider with Egg Nest
Location: Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada
I sat for almost an hour waiting for this shot. This was taken on a dock in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada. She is absolutely gorgeous. The context is that the space she is sitting in is alomost 4” wide. We have always called them Dock spiders but it would be great to know if they have another name.
Signature: Scott

Fishing Spider with her Nursery Web

Dear Scott,
We try not to think too much about the letters that go unanswered, though we know that there are probably numerous overlooked gems that our readers will find interesting.  Today, we had a bit of time and we are randomly looking at unanswered requests.  We are thrilled we stumbled upon your submission.  We apologize for never responding earlier, especially since you waited for an hour to catch this awesome photo of a female Dock Spider or Fishing Spider,
Dolomedes tenebrosus (see BugGuide), protecting her Nursery Web full of spiderlings.  Many species in the genus are found in close proximity to the water and they are able to walk across the surface and dive beneath the water to escape predators.  Some are even known to hunt aquatic creatures like minnows and tadpoles, hence the common name Fishing Spider.  Like the rest of the family, these are hunting spiders that do not build webs, except for the care of their brood.  For that reason, they are also called Nursery Web Spiders.

Thank you Daniel.  I am glad you liked it.  I also managed to get a huge series of a male and female mating.  Interested?
Merry Christmas and all of the very besy in 2012
Scott

Location: Canada