Sphinx moth?
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Can you identify which species this 3 to 4 inch wingspan moth is?
Signature: John

Streaked Sphinx

Dear John,
We just learned on the Sphingidae of the Americas website that the common name for your moth,
Protambulyx strigilis strigilis, is the Streaked Sphinx.  We are going to copy Bill Oehlke on our response as he may want to include your sighting data on his website since it is indicated that December sightings in Florida are not common.

Thank you very much for the identification and the website!

John

Location: Florida

8 Responses to Streaked Sphinx

1. sallybug says:

Just saw one of these today, Sept 22 2012 outside the grocery store. Your post helped us identify it, thanks!! Here’s a pic of it: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3029761273418.312066.1544433675&type=1&l=b3213e56e2

2. Tanya says:

Hope you can help me ive had this scalp problem for 2 years may be a bit more
    Ive spoken to a dockter about it they look at my scalp and tell me thers nothing there they are worse on the scalp at noght they bite sting and hop or jump like a flea they start of tiny dots
    Ive seen one on my frindge close to the hair line try to grap it jumps and disapears when i got to bed they go all aroundd my body they are like full stops
    . Sometimes like this dot .
    Then they grow a bit they change coulr to grey sead like things they got antenas
    If i try to catch it it jumps i expeireance them jumpin anywere on the body head to toe
    They are driving me mental
    I payed to see a dermotologist
    He told theres nothing on my scalp and realy werent botherd
    I even took a bug to him he came back to the room to tell me theres nothing there
    They are to small to catch or see ive tryed evry thing premuthrine sulphur conditoner vinegar i cant get them off my scalp they are to small for a nit comb
    At this moment im plasterd in talacen powder mixed with diomatious earth aswell as ceader oil please help what are thes things they are driving me insane please hel
    Thanx tanya cartridge x

Dear Tanya,
      We cannot figure out why you posted this comment to a Streaked Sphinx posting instead of something more subject appropriate. Our advice to you is to seek a professional opinion, though we understand fully that often modern medicine is not capable of providing relief in every situation. We do know of a home remedy insect repellant that can double as a glass cleaner. Take a gallon of white vinegar and infuse it with herbs: Sage, Lavendar, Rosemary and Wormwood (Artemesia). Leave the gallon of vinegar in the sun for several days. This remedy is known as the 4 Thieves because in the middle ages, plunderers of plague victim corpses used it to keep fleas from biting and passing on the disease. We also sprinkle this herbal vinegar on wool rugs when we roll them for storage to keep moths and carpet beetles from eating the wool. Good luck with your problem. We would not rule out Delusory Parasitosis.

3. Sharon says:

I just wanted to let you know that we saved a Streaked Sphinx 3 days ago in Orlando, Florida. We found it outside on the ground. We thought it may have gotten affected from the cold weather we’ve been having. I thought it was dead by the end of the day, however it survived and the next morning I saw feces in the bowl and it had moved over to the side.
    Now today I got some oak leaves to put inside the bowl and it started shaking its wings SO FAST!!!! I managed to get the video camera so I successfully videoed it and it’s looks amazing! I have photos too if you would like some.
    Could you help let me know what to feed it and should I let it go or is it close to dying. It’s not flying and not really moving around at all except when coaxed to do so. You help is appreciated and the website is great!
    Happy Holidays!

4. Sharon says:

By the way, we were out collecting pine cones yesterday (Dec. 16th) for Christmas and a PINK STRIPED OAK MOTH CATERPILLAR attached itself to my bag…so we saved it too! Now we have it in a bowl with oak leaves and covered it with a coffee filter and a rubber band. It was walking all over my children’s hands today and now I checked on it (9pm) and it has attached its head to the coffee filter). I don’t know if it’s going to go into the cocoon stage now.

I would like to repost this to the relevant area. I have photos and video too if you would like them.
    Happy Holidays!

5. k4bugs says:

We found an injured Streaked Sphinx moth in Lake Worth Florida, and our date and time is November 1st, 2014, 11:20 am. Its wing is a little torn, and we think that its slow because of the cold. This is our first time on this website.