just a question.
Location: Wichita, KS. USA
December 17, 2011 8:07 am
I have been having hundreds or maybe thousands of tiny tiny bugs coming in the micro-cracks in my basement windows. They all die within about a day or so. They are too small to get a good photo. In fact they are so small It’s hard to make out what they are. but they keep gathering at the base of my basement windows and dieing.
Would you mind if I put some of the dead ones in a zip-lock bag and mailed them to you to identify?
Signature: IDK

Springtails

Dear IDK,
We believe these are Springtails.  Most likely, they are dying due to the low humidity indoors.  Springtails are benign creatures that can become an annoyance when they are plentiful.  They feed on mold and fungus and other organic matter and they are instrumental in breaking down organic matter to form humus in soil.

Location: Kansas

One Response to Springtails, most likely

1. christine says:

I have these lil bugs and wanted to know how to get ride of them. My house is an older house but I have taken the bedroom window apart and they still seem to be getting in.