What’s this white bug….
Location: Naples, FL
I have found a few of these white ”ladybug” type insects on my Hybiscus tree in Naples FL. It is December (winter in Paradise). They are about the size of a small ladybug….it doesn’t look like they have eaten any of the leaves…you have to zoom in to see it better.
Signature: SherrieB

Sri Lanka Weevil

Dear SherrieB,
This appears to be a Little Leaf Notcher Weevil,
Artipus floridanus, a native species found in “hammock, pineland, mangrove” and considered to be “a minor pest of Citrus and other plants” according to BugGuide.  We wish your photo was a closer view because we cannot,  however, discount that this might actually be an invasive species, the Sri Lanka Weevil or Yellow-headed Ravenous Weevil, Myllocerus undecimpustulatus, which is also pictured on BugGuide where it is stated:  “in FL, recorded from 55 host plant spp., from palms to roadside weeds, including citrus.”

Thanks, I believe that the head is white, so it’sprobably a Little Leaf Notcher Weevil….I checked it  with a magnifying glass. I appreciate your time  SherrieB

Hi again SherrieB,
A reader just left a comment that this is the Sri Lanka Weevil.  We have requested additional information.

Location: Florida

8 Responses to Sri Lanka Weevil

1. mct5548 says:

This is actually Myllocerus.

2. vespidae says:

I concur with mct5548, this is Myllocerus undecimpustulatus.

3. mct5548 says:

Myllocerus possesses femoral spines and a distinct humeral angle of the elytra. Artipus has no femoral spines and the humerus is rounded. Many Myllocerus have yellowish heads but it is a variable character.

4. Kaitlin Pericak says:

I have been abnormally itchy the past two days and then today found a Sri Lanka Weevil in my bed- could the two be correlated?

5. She says:

They are feeding on my newly planted roses leaves, anything i can do about it?

6. Aaron says:

I just go through the tree every month or so and pick them out by hand and smush them (wearing garden gloves)… There are usually only a few in each tree and their whitish color is an easy contrast to the dark green leaves. You have to grab them quick before they fly though..