Pillbug/cricket hybrid?
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Opened the shed in late November in suburban MD, and saw this just hanging out, waving its antennae at me. I didn’t get too close with the camera for fear of scaring it into jumping at me. What could this possibly be?
Signature: R in DC

Belay that WTB!
Location: Silver Spring, MD
I just looked a bit more on your site, and found my answer – sorry to take up more of your time. Though maybe you liked my picture.
Signature: R in DC

Camel Cricket

Dear R in DC,
We are happy to learn that it only took you eight minutes to identify your Camel Cricket or Cave Cricket, if that is actually the identification you discovered.  We have gotten numerous requests to identify Camel Crickets in the past few week.  Perhaps their populations are on the rise or perhaps winter is just the best season for encounters.

Location: Maryland

2 Responses to Camel Cricket

1. mike says:

i just killed what i thoughr was a spider under the fridge come to find out its a camel cricket i no nothinf of this bug til just now by reading and i thoughtt is reply with its not winter here in arkansas city kansas wtf

2. Kathleen says:

Thank you so much I took a picture and then looked online and Wala I found the same thing. It was on my couch under a blanket. Never saw one before but I do have a wood pile outside in my courtyard and it could’ve been carried in by my dog who has curly hair..