Atlas Moth
Location: Leyte Philippines
Thought you may be interested in this photo of an Atlas Moth resting in our garden in 2009. It flew off in the evening.
Signature: Steve

Atlas Moth relative

Hi Steve,
The bushy antennae and hooked wing tips indicates your Atlas Moth is a male.  Thanks for sending the photo.

Correction on the species
We received a comment from Ryan indicating this was actually a relative of the Atlas Moth from the same genus, Attacus caesar, and a photo on BizLand supports that identification.

Location: Philippines

4 Responses to Atlas Moth relative from the Philippines

1. ryan says:

I believe this is actually Attacus caesar, rather than A. atlas. Out of the four Attacus sp. that are found in the Philippines, I believe only A. caesar is found in Leyte.

This particular specimen also more closely resembles A. caesar than A. atlas.

We suspected this was another species, but we were too rushed this morning to try to research. Thanks for the comment. We will try to find a link to A. caesar.

2. Rebecca Jayatillake. says:

How to send you a pic…….? I have a huge Atlas Moth around 30 cm from Sri Lanka. I also love your website it helped me to do my research about moths
    Thanks loads
    Rebecca