how to raise muskmare walking sticks
Location: clearwater florida
hi bug experts, i and my twin brother are avid entomologists. wondering how to raise muskmare walking sticks? We have searched the internet but to no avail. we have eggs and pregnant females. would like to know how to raise. please advise asap thank you very much.
Signature: anxiously waiting

Mating Muskmares

Dear anxiously waiting,
We have no personal experience raising Walkingsticks, but there is much information available online, including the Stick Insect Care page of the Bugs in Cyberspace website and the Care of Stick Insects on EarthLife.  We would caution you to exercise care in the handling of Muskmares as they are capable of spraying a noxious substance that may cause damage to the eye.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to supply you with more specific information once your posting is live.

Update from Bruno Kneubuehler
on our site about stick insects (order Phasmatodea) I have written a detailed care sheet for Anisomorpha buprestoides. This should help you in getting started to breed such phasmids:
www.phasmatodea.com/web/guest/221
Normally their spray is not really harmful and causes some temporary irritation if it hits the eyes. But of course there might be persons which have a stronger reaction (like it is the case with bee stings)
Bruno

Location: Florida

2 Responses to Bug of the Month December 2011: How to Raise Muskmares

1. on our site about stick insects (order Phasmatodea) I have written a detailed care sheet for Anisomorpha buprestoides. This should help you in getting started to breed such phasmids:
    http://www.phasmatodea.com/web/guest/221

Bruno

Thanks so much for providing a link to your care sheet Bruno, and also for clarifying the chemical spray toxicity of the Muskmare genus.