A bug to identify (imagine that!)
Location: Cedar Hill, Texas (just outside of Dallas)
I came across your website and I’m hoping you can help identify this bug I found in my house today.
I’m sure I’ll butcher the terminology here, but what you can’t see from the picture is that the bug has a good set of protruded or external mandibles.
Also, it was traveling with another of its kind that I have yet to catch.
Thanks for your help!
Signature: Samuel Thomas

Hickory Borer

Hi Samuel,
This is one of two species of Borer Beetles in the genus
Megacyllene, and we suspect it might have entered your house in firewood and then emerged in the warmth of the home.  Larvae of the Beetles spend their entire larval stage boring in wood, eventually pupating and then emerging as adults when conditions are right.  We suspect this is a Hickory Borer, Megacyllene caryae, and not its look-alike relative the Locust Borer, Megacyllene robiniae.  Locust Borers generally emerge in the fall while Hickory Borers emerge in the spring.  Here is a photo of a Hickory Borer from BugGuide.  The adult beetles will not harm your home, its furnishing nor its inhabitants.

Location: Texas