What is this?
Location: Alabama
What kind of bug is this? I saw it in central Alabama – Cheaha State Park, about 2,000 ft elevation. It was crawling along the forest floor. It was about 3.5 inches long.
Signature: With Ink

Muskmare

Dear With Ink,
You have submitted a photograph of a Southern Two-Lined Walkingstick, Anisomorpha buprestoides, and it is also known by the common name Muskmare.  The name Muskmare refers to two characteristics of this species.  Adults are frequently found in a mating position with the diminutive male riding atop his mount.  The species is also capable of spraying a noxious substance with amazing accuracy, and there are reports that damage to the cornea can occur if the musky spray hits the eye.

Thanks!  I’m glad I didn’t get sprayed.
Justin

Correction
December 6, 2011
We just received a species correction that this is a Northern Two-Lined Walkingstick, not a Southern Two-Lined Walkingstick.  It is interesting that BugGuide does not recognize the common name Muskmare for either species or the genus.

Location: Alabama

2 Responses to Northern Two-Lined Walkingstick

1. this one is Anisomorpha ferrugina (not A. buprestoides). ID by my friend Oskar Conle (www.phasmatodea.com)