Caterpillar found in Africa
Subject: Caterpillar found in Africa
Location: Kenya, Africa
I am wondering what kind of butterfly this would turn into, and what the species of caterpillar is.
Signature: Lauren

Beautiful Caterpillar from Kenya is Skipper

Hi Lauren,
This is just about the most beautiful Caterpillar we have ever seen.  We don’t know what it is but the head reminds us of a Skipper Caterpillar.  Most Skipper Caterpillars we have seen have green bodies, though coloration has very little to do with genera classification.  We actually prefer not to research this at the moment because we want to spend some time imagining what the butterfly (and we really believe this is a butterfly) would look like upon metamorphosis.

Location: Kenya

4 Responses to The most beautiful caterpillar in the world from Kenya

1. I found some images and they reminded me of this post.
    Despite the different coloration, I feel that it is close related to this species ans it’s said to bem feeding on “chilli”http://wikivillage.co.za/central-garden/blog/when-worms-come-out-eat
    If chilly is only Cpsicum spp., I dunno, I was anable to find anything else.

2. Matthew Cock says:

Assuming it was found at the Kenya Coast, this is a final instar caterpillar of Coeliades kenya (Hesperiidae). If was from inland around Meru, it might be the species / subspecies merua, the caterpillar of which is unknown. See: Cock, M.J.W. (2010) Observations on the biology of Afrotropical Hesperiidae (Lepidoptera) principally from Kenya. Part 1. Introduction and Coeliadinae. Zootaxa 2547, 1-63.

It seems as though you are the author of the cited source, so you must know what you are writing about. Thanks for the identification.