Banded Huntsman Spider
Location: Hawkesbury Region, Sydney, Australia
I live a little outside of Sydney in a rural area (quite dense bushland) and get quite a few of these Banded Huntsman Spiders (please correct me if I’m wrong). This one was quite large as you can see in the photos. They are quite timid, which is great for taking photos, and their markings are stunning. Thought you’d like the photos as I haven’t seen one like this on your site as yet.
Signature: Tracy

Banded Huntsman Spider

Hi Tracy,
It seems that Banded Huntsman Spider is the correct common name for this spider, and an aptly chosen common name, however, we have encountered two different possible scientific names.  FlickR has a beautiful photograph identified as
Isopeda insignis, though we would not trust FlickR for scientific accuracy.  Another website dedicated to Australian Huntsman Spiders has the species identified as Holconia insignis and states:  “This spider is also known as the banded huntsman spider. The male is 25-30 mm and the female 32-40 mm large. This species is one of the largest in its genus in Australia.”  The photo with the hand for scale does indicate the size nicely.  Thanks for sending your photos.

Banded Huntsman Spider

Location: Australia

2 Responses to Banded Huntsman Spider from Australia

1. Nick says:

Hi
    I live in Narrabri and was working out at Wee Waa the other day. I found what I think was a banded huntsman. Is it rare to find this spider so far from the coast?

2. Ross Bowen says:

Cant comment on the habitat as I live on the Coast at Pacific Palms. We often get Huntsman and only on occasions do we get the banded variety, but when we do I have observed that they are very large when banded.
    Interestingly we have a “sick” huntsman in our bedroom at the moment and has been withdrawing as if dead over the last 2 days. This morning the spider has regain it’s spread and lo and behold it has now bands on its legs whereas it wasn’t banded prior to getting sick. What I would like to know is do they develop bands or is this just a strange co-incidence.
    Ross