What kind of spider is this?
Location: Just south of Roseburg, OR
November 28, 2011 10:35 am
I was given an inflatable kayak. When I turned it over, this spider ran out. It was very aggressive, trying to chase me with its front legs lifted. I live in Douglas County, Oregon, and I have NEVER seen a spider like this before. There was no webbing or nest in the kayak. It was a little bigger than a half dollar.
Signature: Heather Goin

Folding Door Spider

Hi Heather,
This appears to us to be a Folding Door Spider,
Antrodiaetus pacificus, which we identified on BugGuide.  They are also known as Trapdoor Spiders.  Females rarely leave their burrows, and they tend to have a longer lifespan.  Males tend to leave their burrows at the onset of the autumn rains, and they wander about in search of a mate.  Your individual is a male.  Though his defense posture is threatening, Trapdoor Spiders are not considered a harmful species to humans, though it is possible they might bite.  If that happened, the bite generally causes a brief local reaction.

Wow!  Thanks for your speedy reply!  Glad to know he isn’t harmful! 🙂

Location: Oregon

5 Responses to Folding Door Spider

1. TJ Wilson says:

These ugly spiders are now in Ketchikan, Alaska.

• Natalie says:

We just found this spider in our garage tonight and we live in Ketchikan, too! Go back to Oregon, Folding Trapdoor Spider!!

2. Liv says:

Just saw this in my flower bed was about less then a foot from my foot I’m freaked out i ran back inside I didn’t kill it since I didn’t have shoes on ?? (Keizer, OR)

3. Nathan Tamplen says:

I think I just saw one in Silverton, OR killing a wasp. Not sure though.

4. Paul says:

I have seen these on the underside of our home in Seattle Wa. There was about 4-5 when I sprayed around the base of the house when I moved here last year. They are VERY big and aggressive. I continue to monitor these spiders in the trees next to our house. They are extremely predatory and eat smaller spiders and insects directly. Most of the ones I saw were all black with minimal black fur around the abdomen and rear of the spider. Very big and fast. Actually remind me of big funnel web spiders because of the black color and stance.