Cool Spider!
Location: St Augustine Beach, FL
November 25, 2011 11:46 am
I discovered this beautiful animal crawling up the exterior wall of my office. I’ve seen them before, however never quite this large and not this color. This spider was well behaved and seemed very healthy. Just crusing the walls looking for something to eat and leaving a single thread of web stuck to the wall wherever it had been. It must work out regularly with muscles like that! I’m calling it a Schwarzenegger Spider until you set me straight. Thanks so much for continuing to battle ignorance!
Signature: Thanks! Bill

Bold Jumper

Hi Bill,
Your Jumping Spider is a Bold Jumper,
Phidippus audax, and you can compare your individual to this image on BugGuide.  Though the markings can be somewhat variable, the green chelicerae or fangs are quite distinctive.  Jumping Spiders do not spin a web to snare prey.  They are hunting spiders with excellent eyesight and they stalk prey and pounce on it.  The silk line it spins will help it to return to the location it was walking on in the event its leap causes it to fall.  We believe your individual is a male as evidenced by the well developed pedipalps.

Location: Florida