Grasshopper
November 19, 2011
Hi Buggy!
I found this beautyful Grasshopper. It was about the size of my nail and I think it’s immature. Any clue about it?
The Location is Jaraguá, São Paulo, Brazil.
Cesar Crash

Grasshopper Nymph

Hi Cesar,
Please use our standard form for submissions in the future.  We apologize for the delay, but we have been busy.  We don’t know the species, but you are correct that this is a nymph.  Often nymphs change their coloration drastically as they mature.

Grasshopper Nymph

I think my concept of delay is quite different from yours. It was so fast! And please do not apologize, I just have to thank you for everything I learned with you.
Muito Obrigado!

Identification Courtesy of Karl
Hi Daniel and Cesar:
I believe it is an immature Lubber Grasshopper (Romaleidae) in the genus Zoniopoda. It looks a lot like Z. omnicolor (see enlargement here), but apparently that species does not occur along the Atlantic coast of Brazil. Another possibility is Z. tarsata, which is more common and more widely distributed than Z. omnicolor. I was only able to find one online image identified as an immature Z. tarsata, on a site for the Reserva Natural Isla Martin Garcia (once you figure out how to navigate through the site it is the third last image).  (See adult Zoniopoda tarsata here.)  Regards. Karl

Thanks much Karl.  We now have to update the mating Heteropterans from Namibia.  We didn’t read your identification yet, but we did notice you sent it.

Location: Brazil

One Response to Immature Grasshopper from Brazil

1. Hi Karl. We’re both on the South American Tropic of Capricorn, I think we must share the same species. Thank you.