Vain bug caught checking himself out in our bathroom mirror!
Location: Littleton, CO
My son discovered this guy in our bathroom on the mirror. He freaked out, thinking it was an ugly bug that would attack him or something. I grabbed the camera and took pictures before placing him back outside because I thought it was kind of cool looking. Is it some kind of grasshopper? Doesn’t look like the type I am used to seeing around here but I have no clue what else it might be. Thanks for your help!
Signature: Lynette

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Lynette,
As soon as the weather begins to cool appreciably, Western Conifer Seed Bugs like the one in your photo and some other Hemipterans, like the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug and Boxelder Bug enter homes to hibernate.  They do not cause any damage to the home, its furnishings or its inhabitants.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug,
Leptoglossus occidentalis, is native to the Pacific Northwest, but beginning in the 1960s, it greatly expanded its range, probably because of accidental introduction to new regions by humans when the Western Conifer Seed Bug was transported with luggage, packages and other methods of moving goods.

Location: Colorado

6 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug enters home

1. mary bezaire says:

How does this bug enter your home? Can they come up through the drains. [Most of the ones I find are near the kitchen of bathroom sink.]

Do they do damage to coniferous trees?

We are relatively certain that Western Conifer Seed Bugs do not enter homes through drains. They do not harm trees, but they will affect the viability of the cones. According to the Penn State Entomology website: “This true bug of the family Coreidae feeds mainly on the seeds and developing cones of several species of conifers and their respective hybrids.”

2. Laura says:

I have found a couple of these bugs in my house in upstate NY this weekend. I scooped them up with a paper towel and placed them outside- don’t like to kill anything unless it’s a parasite or super destructive like EAB. And yes they fly.

3. Jane says:

Have been removing a number of these beetles from inside, the basement mostly and now in the kitchen. Our home is surrounded by Norway Spruce with large cones. Anything we can do to make their visit less desirable? We also get the stink bug in early fall. I also meant to comment we live near Toronto ON

4. Clark Gent Pretty Face says:

My God they are so ugly! most ugliest most eerie looking bug I have ever seen!

5. Clark Gent Pretty Face says:

That’s a bug that has nothing to be vain about. lol