Namibian arthropods
Location: Namibia (see above)
Can you please name these.All pictures were taken in April 2011 in Namibia.
The cricket was taken in the Etendeke Mountain camp close to Palmwag. The other 2 images were taken at Durstenbruck farm north of Windhoek.
Signature: Roger Pinkney

Tropical Centipede

Hi Roger,
Though we don’t know what species this is, this Tropical Centipede is one of the most beautiful Centipedes we have ever seen.  We will try to determine the species.  Tropical Centipedes in the genus
Scolopendra are found in many places around the world.

Location: Namibia

7 Responses to Tropical Centipede from Namibia: Scolopendra morsitans

1. Greg Pelka says:

Accordind to ridges visible on terminal legs this is female of Scolopendra morsitans.

Thank you for sending numerous Centipede identifications. We will update the titles on the postings to reflect your identifications.

• Leonie Scholtz says:

Is this orange/black centipede poisonous? We have come across 2 in one weekend and 1 of them INSIDE our house. We sleep on the floor on hot summer nights and I wouldn’t want to be in danger from a bite.

• Greg Pelka says:

If you’re afraid it’s poisonous, just don’t eat it 😉
        And I believe what you’re asking is, if it’s venomous. And the answer is yes. All centipedes are venomous. Bite sometimes can be quite painful but except the pain, they’re harmless to healthy people.

2. Howie De Klerk says:

Hi I also had one tropical centipede walking as I entered our bedroom with my son in my arms. Reacted quickly to step on it a few times. We assume it entered under our front door. We live close to a river.

3. Hannelie Nel says:

Also found one in our house.