Caterpillar in Malibu, CA
Location: Malibu, CA
Dear Bugman, I found this large caterpillar crawling in my garden. It was not on a plant but I put some clover in a box with it. I’m trying to find out what kind of butterfly or moth it’ll turn in to. Can you identify it?
Signature: Bu Girl

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Dear Bu Girl,
Though your photo does not show the markings on the side of this individual very well, we believe you have photographed the caterpillar of the Achemon Sphinx.  Sphinx Moth caterpillars are called Hornworms because they usually have a caudal horn, however, the Achemon Sphinx sheds its caudal horn as a young caterpillar, leaving a caudal spot or “eye” that is barely visible on the right side of your photo.  According to the Sphingidae of the Americas website, the caterpillar of the Achemon Sphinx feeds upon:  “Grape (Vitis), Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) and other vines and ivies (Ampelopsis).”