Maggots of some sort
Location: Hamlin, NY about 5 miles south of the Lake Ontario shore
Hi. I found these pods of worms or maggots in the gutter on the side of the road in front of our house one early morning on September 15, 2004. We are in Hamlin, NY about 5 miles south of the Lake Ontario shore. These pods of worms moved together like a single unit. Notice there are two kinds of worms in the pods. The majority of the worms are about 1/32” in diameter. The larger maggots, there was one or two in a pod, looked like a typical large green bottle fly maggot. I have not seen anything like this before or since then. I have shown these pictures to a lot of people and no one even has a guess as to what these might be.
Signature: What’s that bug?

Fungus Gnat Larvae

This curious phenomenon is an aggregation of Fungus Gnat Larvae in the family Sciaridae.  Here is a photo from BugGuidewith some information.  We don’t believe there are two species here, rather we suspect that some of the individuals in the aggregation are larger.

Fungus Gnat Larvae

Location: New York

One Response to Aggregation of Fungus Gnat Larvae

1. peggy ruble says:

I saw one of these crossing the street in Shell Knob, Missouri about 5yrs ago. Strange. Mark Twain National Forest.