Location: Bermagui NSW
Can you please ID this moth. She came in on Nov 1st, laid her eggs on the back of my chair then stayed till she died 5 days later, sad.But what is she?
Signature: Sue

Hawkmoth from Australia

Hi Sue.
We strongly feel this is a Hawkmoth in the family Spingidae, however a species identification is eluding us.  We started searching Butterfly House, and the two best candidates there are the Australian Privet Hawkmoth,
Psilogramma casuarinae, and Synoecha marmorataThe former has the dark markings on the thorax, and the latter has closer wing markings.  Csiro has this image of the latter.  The Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic website has this to say about Psilogramma increta:  “Reliably recorded from northeastern China, Japan and Korea, south and east through China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines and Peninsular Malaysia, to the Greater Sunda Islands; then west through Burma/Myanmar, Nepal and India to Kashmir. It is possible that P. increta extends much further east through the Malay Archipelago and may even reach Australia and the Pacific islands. However, in these latter areas, the features of adult wing colour and pattern that farther west differentiate P. increta from the closely related species, P. menephron, break down and it becomes impossible to reliably distinguish them on this basis. The two species are also identical in genital structure. Mell (1922b) described diagnostic features of larvae and pupae but these have yet to be investigated in eastern populations of Psilogramma.”  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in this difficult identification.

Update and Correction
Thanks to a comment from Ryan, we now realize this Hawkmoth imposter is actually a Wattle Goat Moth, one of the Wood Moths in the family COSSIDAE.

Location: Australia

4 Responses to Wattle Goat Moth from Australia, not Hawkmoth

1. ryan says:

This is not Sphingidae, rather Cossidae. This particular species is probably from the genus Endoxyla (and I’m guessing species lituratus).

2. Ray MacPherson says:

Several years ago, I found 3 what I think are, White Goat moths (?) but can find no reference to them being on the far south coast of NSW (Tura Beach). Most references I have found are European based. Can you provide me with anything for me to positively identify my stuff. I have recently collected several White-stemmed gum moths (Chelepterix collesi (?) and revisited my earlier stuff thinking I had confused the two, but their sizes are of course much different, hence my renewed search for data on them both. Thanks in advance. Ray.