large gray moth
Location: Florida
November 1, 2011 11:45 am
We saw this large moth on a barrier island beach in central Florida in late August, it appeared to be resting (on a sign post), had no color that we could see even when it fluttered – maybe about 3 inches long – what could it be? Thank you.
Signature: icegull

Tetrio Sphinx Moth

Dear icegull,
This is a Sphinx Moth or Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae.  We are having difficulty finding a match on the excellent Sphingidae of the Americas website despite browsing through the species reported from Florida.  It looks similar to the Catalpa Sphinx,
Ceratomia catalpae, but not exactly.  We will try to contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can provide a species name for us.

Bill Oehlke responds
HI Daniel,
It is a female Pseudosphinx tetrio, The Tetrio Sphinx. The female is considerably paler than the male.
Can you have the person who submitted image contact me for image use and more precise location?
Thanks.

Thank you so much and thanx for the link to the website.  I saw a Black Witch Moth in July for the 1st time, and when I saw this guy it peaked my curiosity about moths in general.  I’m already a birder so moths & butterflies & insects in general are the next frontier.  Unlike birds tho I did have to do some digging to find sources that were user friendly & helpful, then I found you guys.  I look forward to which sphinx it is.  Thanx again.

Permission to use pix granted.  It was seen August 19th this year at Ft Desoto Park within the bird sanctuary (along the beach), south Pinellas County, Florida.  Thank you so much!

Location: Florida