Mysterious insect!
Location: Slovenia
http://imgur.com/a/SQe1O
These photos were submitted by a friend. The only info I have is that it’s from Slovenia.
I am thinking it is a beetle with the elytra missing due to a cruel individual pulling them off or due to a genetic mutation. Maybe Chrysomelidae?
What do you think?
Signature: Joseph_P_Brenner

possible Barklouse

Dear Joseph,
We agree that this insect is quite beetle-like, but we haven’t a clue as to its identity.  We are posting your photos in the hope that we will be able to provide you with an identification.

Barklouse, perhaps

We are also planning on contacting Eric Eaton for assistance.  The closeup of the head should be very helpful.

potentially Head of Barklouse

Eric Eaton has a suggestion
Hi, Daniel:
My gut reaction is that this is some kind of barklouse, order Psocodea.  Beyond that I have no idea.

Thanks, Daniel.
My buddy got in touch with Dr. Vassili Belov and Dr. Belov thinks it’s Malthodes or Malthinus with the elytra amputated.  I think he is correct.  Definitely looks like one of those 2 soldier beetle genera.
Thanks again!

Location: Slovenia