Identity crisis
Location: Lake Travis in Central Texas
Help! I came across this beautiful bug while camping on Lake Travis in Central Texas earlier this month. It is obviously a bug with good taste since it is hanging out on a prickly pear cactus tuna. My guess is that it is a stinker or a leaffooted something but I don’t know what kind of stinker exactly.
Your pal,
Karen Sue
Signature: Karen Sue

Leaf Footed Bug

Dear Karen Sue,
This is an immature Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae, and we believe it is in the genus
Leptoglossus.  It might be Leptoglossus clypealis based on the structure of the head.  According to BugGuide:  “A spine extending forwards from the tip of the nose (technically known as the tylus) distinguishes this species.”  It is difficult to be certain that your specimen has this tylus because of the angle of the photo.  Also, since your individual is an immature nymph, exact species identification may be difficult.

Location: Texas