Orange brain bum spider
Location: Ottawa, ON
Hi! I’m in Ottawa, Ontario and found this spider lolly-gagging out my front door. It’s about 3 degrees celsius tonight and it was moving incredibly slow, so I scooped it up and took some photos.
I’ve never seen a spider like this around my house. He has a bright vibrant orange spot on his abdomen, and i.m.o. the whole back end looks vaguely brain like. It was biggish (about the size of a toonie). Even though winter will be settling in, I let him go in my front garden.
Please help me identify, I haven’t had much luck searching myself!
Signature: Finnegan

Orbweaver

Hi Finnegan,
This is a harmless Orbweaver in the genus
Araneus.

Oh wow, thanks for the quick reply! Although spiders sometimes give me the willies, they can be rather beautiful in their own creepy crawly kind of way. Will look up more info on orb weavers just for fun. Great website, love it!

Location: Canada

2 Responses to Orbweaver

1. Diane says:

Try searching Marbled Araneus. It’s hard to tell from the photo angle, but the top part of the abdomen looks familiar.