Oversized Earwig
Location: Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
October 28, 2011 3:42 am
This scary looking was walking over my floor. At first I thought it was an oversized earwig but then I thought it was unlikely.
When I caught it, the bug tried to squirt this black ink at me which was caught by the plastic container. It is a bit over 40mm from feelers to tail.
Do you know what type of bug would get around Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (and would it be dangerous)?
Signature: Bug Pro

Mole Cricket

Dear Bug Pro,
You had an encounter with a harmless Mole Cricket.  The are found in many parts of the world, and we frequently get identification requests from Australia, the Middle East and many parts of North America.

Location: Australia

3 Responses to Mole Cricket in Australia

1. Man, does mole crickets squirt a black something? When I pick them in my hands, they only do a little pinch.

2. Sarah says:

Wow, thanks for the info! We had a couple of these GIANT bugs in our garage about four years ago and we put them in a container to have a closer look and try to figure out what they were… Yes they squirt black liquid and it stinks! They are very interesting looking but unnerving when we couldn’t find any info on them!