Moth in the Everglades
Location: Everglades, Florida
Hello, I took this photo while on a slog through the Everglades (mid-October). Could you help me identify it?
Signature: Jim Poyser

Mournful Sphinx

Hi Jim,
Your somber moth,
Enyo lugubris, goes by the common name the Mournful Sphinx.  The Sphingidae of the Americas website is always a great place to identify Sphinx Moths from the family Sphingidae.  The species is found in the southernmost portions of North America as well as the tropics of Central and South America.  According to BugGuide, it is found in  “Forests, edges, presumably.”

Location: Florida

2 Responses to Mournful Sphinx

1. Leslie Walton says:

Hi, I live in Ohio and I just found two of these on my coneflowers . It looked like they had just hatched because the space between their wings kept getting larger. Never saw anything like these before. The first day nthere was only one. Next day there was two. Next day they had left. Checked all my coneflowers but couldn’t find them. Trying to identify them and found that they aren’t normally in Ohio.

BugGuide reports the Mournful Sphinx south of your location. Without an image, we can’t help but wonder if you saw another diurnal Sphinx Moth.