Monarch Caterpillar Success
Location: Hawthorne, CA
While watering out back today, I spied this beauty and thought I should share it with you. It’s common, but ”new to our yard” and I’m so glad to see that our efforts have yielded yet another gem. Don’t think I would have even looked for this had it not been for you!
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Monarch Caterpillar

Hi Anna,
Thanks for sending us your lovely photos of a Monarch Caterpillar on Milkweed in your garden.  Do you know if this is a native milkweed?

Monarch Caterpillar

Thanks very much.  This is  Asclepias curassavica – Mexican Milkweed, a native of the American Tropics.  It was in a “Butterfly Mix” packet of seeds that we bought at a local nursery last year.  Should I discourage it from reseeding this year and try to get native milkweed started instead?
Anna

Hi Anna,
No, we would not recommend discouraging it.  We were simply curious.  You can try some native milkweed as well.  You have a cultivated garden and if something is happy with the habitat you are providing and that thing is attracting native species of insects, we can think of no reason to discourage it.