Orb Weaver catches Caterpillar in her web and encases it in silk.
Location: Cheney Kansas
I rescued this spider at work from being chopped up by my weed wacker. I took it home and set it free in the garden.
The next day I searched the garden to see if she would cast her web in my yard . I found her Web and she had already caught several moths and was in the process of taking care of a White Lined Sphinx Caterpillar.
I’ve included several photos and you can really see in detail how she uses her spinneret to encase her future meal.
Signature: Chris Harris

Banded Orbweaver

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for sending us your wonderful photos of a Banded Orbweaver eating a White Lined Sphinx Caterpillar.

Banded Orbweaver eats White Lined Sphinx Caterpillar

We don’t believe caterpillars are a typical prey for Orbweavers that tend to snare flying or hopping insects.

Banded Orbweaver eats White Lined Sphinx

Location: Kansas

One Response to Banded Orbweaver eats White Lined Sphinx Caterpillar

1. Xmegatron says:

My favorite pet spider to catch is a male false black widow I had one his name was d’angelo like the singer I fed him big beetles I also would put a rival male common house spider and they would fight and d’angelo would win multiple times. I’m getting another one soon his next opponents will be a male orchard spider and if he win against that the next will be a male banded order weaver spider.😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍