Cerambycid in Africa
Location: Kenya, Africa
October 17, 2011 10:25 am
My friend is conducting research in Africa (Kenya) and sent this Cerambycid photo to me. Any idea?
Thanks so much!
Signature: Cera

African Longicorn

Hi Cera,
We do not recognize this lovely Longicorn species.  We will post it as unidentified in the hope that in the future we may get an answer.  Those furry front feet are probably a good diagnostic feature.

Update:  Karl does some research
October 28, 2011
Hi Daniel and Cera:
I think you are correct Daniel in suggesting that the furry front feet may be diagnostic, and I therefore believe that the genus is probably Lasiopezus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae:  Ancylonotini). My first thought was that it might be L. sordidus, but that species is apparently restricted to West Africa.  I was not able to locate images of all the half dozen or so species that do occur in Kenya but of the ones I was able to find L. nigromaculatus appears to be the closest match. That said, it doesn’t look quite right, mostly because the color of the mottling seems more brown than black and the overall effect is less contrasting. I like the genus but I suspect the species is one for which I was unable to locate an online image. Regards. Karl

Thanks for all the links Karl.

Location: Africa