Saved this from drowning in my pool
Location: Northern California – Sacramento Valley
Hello again!
I haven’t submitted in a couple years, but today I found something in my pool I’ve never seen before. I live in the Northern California Valley, near Sacramento. Don’t know if you can really see it in the pics, but it has a folding needle type mouth and Y shaped antennae. It was a slow mover and when you would touch the antennae it would raise it’s front legs and try to climb. Sorry for the bad cellphone pics, they’re only 5MP. I let the thing dry off on my hand and then let it go on some flowers out back. I’ll be looking around on here and online for any other help identifying this little thing. Thanks fr your time and help!
Signature: Toby

Spiny Assassin Bugs

Okay, so I did some research as to the insects mouth “type” and found that it has a Proboscis. Wikipedia said that Assassin Bugs have this and I followed that link, and lo and behold there was something that looks like my little friend. Days of searching can now end. Any help identifying species would be great if you can from the pics.
-Toby

Hi Toby,
You should exercise caution when handling the Spiny Assassin Bugs in the genus
Sinea.  See BugGuide for additional information.  Like other Assassin Bugs, they might bite if carelessly handled.  Because of your good deed, we are tagging your letter with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Spiny Assassin Bug

One Response to Spiny Assassin Bug saved from drowning

1. drswanny says:

This is most likely Sinea diadema but S. confusa cannot be ruled out with certainty.