Erynnis funeralis?
Location: Hawthorne, CA
It was good to finally meet you this past Saturday at the Lummis House. We enjoyed your talk very much and are thankful that you give of your time in so many ways. We wish our Iowa cousins had not left early that same morning, as we are sure they would have enjoyed seeing the Lummis House. They are also bug enthusiasts.
While watching your presentation, we noticed many butterflies flitting about behind you and I had to control myself! My usual response is to immediately get up and head in the general direction of any bug. We also spotted what husband Marty thinks is a Cooper’s Hawk. Are they local to that area?
Saturday morning I spotted what I think is a Funereal Duskywing feeding on the Mexican Sunflowers in my yard. Am I correct?
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Funereal Duskywing

Hi Anna,
It was very nice meeting you and Marty on Saturday.  We really enjoy getting to meet our internet friends at public events.  Another contributor, Barbara from South Pasadena also introduced herself.  Marty was correct.  We do have Cooper’s Hawks in the neighborhood.  At our Mt Washington offices, when the mourning doves are searching for seeds in the yard, Cooper’s Hawks frequently view the flocks as smorgasbords.  We agree that this is a Funereal Duskywing, though we would not totally rule out the related Mournful Duskywing,
Erynnis tristis, that is also found in this area.  The Butterflies and Moths of North America has a nice description of the Funereal Duskywing.

Funereal Duskywing

Thanks for the response.  I did check out the Mournful Duskywing but still think that my photo is of a Funereal Duskywing.  It was very dark in coloring.  I could be wrong, though (wouldn’t be the first time).  Just happy to find yet another “new to us” bug in our small back yard.  Thanks also for answering Marty’s question about the Cooper’s Hawk.  We have Red Tailed Hawks here in Hawthorne.  Yes, hawks in Hawthorne.  They also look at the mourning doves as smorgasbords.  What a great description!
Anna