Amazing Beatle
Location: Brasília, DF – Brazil
Hi there
First of all, congratulations on this website. The idea of helping people to identify these beautiful animals is phenomenal.
About the picture I submitted, I parked my car at the airport for some minutes and when I came back there was this amazing beatle (?) sitting on the hood.
It was about 5.5 cm long and had these long antennae. It drew my attention not only for its size but also because it was sporting these yellow shoes.
While I was driving home, it kept stuck to the car despite the wind pressure, which made me think about how strong it was.
Any ideas about this bug?
All the best from Brazil.
Signature: Gustavo

Unknown Longicorn from Brazil

Good Evening Gustavo,
We haven’t had much luck identifying your gorgeous Longicorn by species.  This stunning beetle is in the Longhorned Borer Beetle family Cerambycidae.  The larvae are the wood borers.  Entomophiles with a certain hipness factor (among other entomophiles at least) call these beetles Bycids for short.  We miss Karl.  He always took on challenges such as these and he provided difficult identifications with links as support documents.

Unknown Longicorn from Brazil
Hi Daniel and Gustavo:
I believe your lovely Cerambycid is Dorcadocerus barbatus (Cerambycinae : Trachyderini). I found one online photo of what appears to be the same species, but tagged as D. barbicornis. However, I think this is probably a misnomer as I can find only one species listed for the genus (i.e., D. barbatus). Its range extends from Mexico to Argentina. Although not quite visible in your photo, the species appears to have a very curious, brush-like face. Regards. Karl

Hi Karl,
Thanks so much for providing this identification.  Though we are thrilled with the identification, we are even more thrilled to hear from you again after what seems like an interminable hiatus.  We hope all is well and that you will be visiting us more often in the future.

Location: Brazil

2 Responses to Unknown Longicorn from Brazil: Has anyone heard from Karl???

1. Gustavo says:

Hi Daniel and Karl, thanks very much for taking the time to identify this beetle. I was so impressed that you’ve pulled it through! Based on the photos linked by Karl, I can affirm 100% it was a Dorcadocerus barbatus. Thx, mates.

Hi Gustavo,
      We just realized that we never responded to your comment nor was it approved. sorry for the oversight.