Spider in Peru
Location: Peruvian Amazon near the village of Santa Maria, 20 miles from Iquitos
October 13, 2011 12:22 am
Hello, while we were in the Peruvian Amazon last month, we found this spider on one of our beds in our jungle lodge. It was about 3-4 inches in size (including the legs).
Signature: Misa

Huntsman Spider

Dear Misa,
We believe this is a Huntsman Spider or Wandering Spiderthough obviously not the same species we provided a link to.  Huntsman Spider or Wandering Spiders are hunting spiders that do not build a web to trap prey.  They often hunt nocturnally.  Some tropical species are reported to be poisonous to humans.

Huntsman Spider

Thank you!  We tried to sweep it out of the room but it just quickly dodged our attempt and stood it’s ground.  We eventually had to ask one of the jungle guides to come into the room to get it out.  When the jungle guide saw it, he took a quick swat at it to get it off of the bed and repeatedly stepped on it until it eventually died.  He then grabbed some toilet paper to pick it up and take it out of the room.  This was the complete opposite of how the guides gently handled the other spiders we had encountered, so I can’t help but think this one was poisonous!

Location: Peru

3 Responses to Probably Huntsman Spider from Peruvian Amazon

1. G.P says:

I think that the guide was cruel to mercilessly kill the huntsman you encountered. I would have scooped him into a container and taken him to a area with no people to be let loose. and thus let him live on.

2. G.P says:

.and I mean it.