Oncopeltus fasciatus?
Location: Hawthorne, CA
I believe I have this guy correctly identified as a Large Milkweed Bug. Seems as though these are common, but it’s our first sighting ever. If you remember, we did away with our back lawn last year and the drought tolerant plantings we replaced it with have attracted many ”new to us” bugs and birds. Husband Marty pointed at this flying around this morning and said, ”New bug!!” I’m glad I have him hooked. Such wonderful little buggies we have around here.
Will you please confirm?
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Large Milkweed Bug

Hi again Anna,
This is indeed a Large Milkweed Bug.  Your gardening efforts are admirable and it is wonderful to hear that in just one year, you are attracting numerous birds and insects.  We expect that soon you will be coming out with a photo book on insects that you attracted to your newly created habitat.

2 Responses to Large Milkweed Bug

1. Judy Worm says:

I just discovered that my oleander bush is infected with the large milkweed bug. I live in Central Florida. Are they damaging to the bush? They’re very pretty and I don’t want to do anything to harm them if they aren’t.

They will not harm the plant, but they do affect seed production, which we doubt is a concern for your garden.