CREEPY A**ED BUG OGLES CHEERLEADERS!
Location: North-east PA
Monday, October 10th, 2011. Sunbury, PA, 6:30pm, Practice Field.
Fortunately our girls are made of sterner stuff because even I was a bit weirded out by this alien looking bug. He/she was rather large, bug-wise, about 1 1/2-2 inches long (not counting his/her veeerrry long legs). Its’ head was disproportionately small and narrow compared to its’ body. Hopefully the pics are clear enough to see what I mean. I thought maybe it was some kind of nectar bug until I saw some of the pics you have of hunter-types. It has a very long spear-looking ”tongue” but I couldn’t get a clear enough shot to see if it had pincers, too. It had wings but didn’t seem to care to fly, even when I coaxed it onto a pencil to move elsewhere. What on Earth is it?? I can’t find anything listed even with the odd ”razor-ridge” along its’ back.
Signature: Hannah Lewis

Wheel Bug

Hi Hannah,
The cheerleaders were wise to not try to pick up this Wheel Bug, because though they are not aggressive, they are predatory Assassin Bugs and they might bite if carelessly handled.

Location: Pennsylvania