Prey of the Praying Mantis
Location: Biggsville, Il.
October 9, 2011 7:07 am
I was going to post this to your general comment site but there wasn’t any place for a picture. I took this Tues. Oct. 4th. I assume this was the last Hummingbird in the garden. I have had quite a few Praying Mantises in the garden this year and many butterflies fell prey to them but when I saw this Hummingbird in it’s grasp I was truly amazed. I’d heard stories but only thought they were campfire stories much like a Hummingbird flying south on a gooses back.
Signature: Randy Anderson

Preying Mantis eats Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Dear Randy,
We are truly honored that you have submitted your amazing Food Chain images to our website.  We would strongly urge you to post a comment to our posting in the event that anyone out there in cyberspace is interested in using your images for some purpose in the future.  We cannot stop internet piracy and we realize there are many folks with questionable ethics that might try to steal your images.  As least we do not post the high resolution images and people are only able to easily grab the thumbnails.  While we are certain that your photos may horrify some of our sensitive readers because Hummingbirds are so beloved, they also represent the possibilities that occur in nature.  Perhaps the Hummingbird was old or feeble.  A large female Preying Mantis is a formidable hunter and her raptorial front legs have a strong grasp.  We also have an image buried in our archives of a Golden Orbweaver that captured and fed upon a Hummingbird.  Thanks again for allowing us to share your images with our readership.

Location: Illinois

15 Responses to Preying Mantis Preys upon Ruby Throated Hummingbird

1. My name is Dr. Martin Nyffeler and I am a Senior Lecturer in Zoology affiliated with the University of Basel, Switzerland. I am in the process of writing an extensive review paper on “Bird predation by praying mantises”. It is my intention to publish this paper in a top biology journal. Currently I try to get photos of bird predation by mantises.
    I have seen your two photos of a “Mantis eats Ruby Throated Hummingbird” posted on the whatsthatbug.com website.
    I would like to ask you if I could get permission from you to use these photos in my new paper. Of course I would give you full credit for being the photographer who took the pictures.
    I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance for your support.
    Best Regards,
    Martin Nyffeler

Dear Dr. Nyffeler,
      We are no longer in contact with Randy Anderson of Biggsville, Illinois, but our submission form gives What’s That Bug? permission to publish images and content on our site and on WTB? authorized publications. Unless Randy Anderson writes back and requests that you not publish his images, What’s That Bug? will allow the images to be published in your scientific paper. Please credit Randy Anderson as the photographer and indicate that the images are courtesy of whatsthatbug.com. We can also search for the higher resolution images.
      P.S. If you provide an email address, we will forward the higher resolution files.

2. Dear Bugman,
    In your reply you wrote: “…..Unless Randy Anderson writes back and requests that you not publish his images, What’s That Bug? will allow the images to be published in your scientific paper…..” Since you wrote that you are no longer in contact with Randy Anderson of Bigsville, Illinois, how then does Mr. Anderson know that I intend using his images? How can he write back if he is not informed since he cannot be contacted ?
    Does it mean, that if my paper is published and Randy Anderson discovers his images in my paper, he can require the paper to be withdrawn ?
    Martin

Hi Martin,
      Our submission form states: “By submitting an identification request and/or photo(s), you give WhatsThatBug.com permission to use your words and image(s) on their website and other WhatsThatBug.com publications. ” Though Randy Anderson is the true copyright holder of the image, it is now content on our copyrighted site. We are granting you permission to use this image in your paper. Though we are quite certain it will be a great paper, we doubt it will have the pop culture appeal and generate the type of revenue that the Harry Potter series generated, and as long as Randy Anderson is credited as the photographer and What’s That Bug? is credited as the source, you will not have to withdraw your paper. We frequently receive requests to publish images from our site, and in the case of scientific research, we always grant permission.

3. Dear Bugman,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Now things have become clear to me. I would greatly appreciate if you would send me a higher resolution version of the two photos (if this is possible). My Email is: martin.nyffeler@unibas.ch Thanks!
    Kind Regards,
    Martin

4. Subject: Photos of praying mantis devouring a hummingbird
    To: Daniel Marlos

some time ago, I contacted you with regard to a scientific manuscript I was in the process of preparing. You then granted me permission to use Randy Anderson’s photos (depicting a praying mantis devouring a hummingbird) in my forthcoming scientific paper. Of course “What’s that bug” and Randy Anderson are credited for it. This manuscript (which has been written in collaboration with two professors from US universities) will be published in the June issue of the scientific magazine “Wilson Journal of Ornithology”. In the attachment you find the first page of the paper (see attached document). In this paper one of Randy Anderson’s photos will be included. As soon as the paper will be available online, you will receive a copy of the paper in its full length (PDF). The Media Department of the University of Basel intends to issue a press release on this publication. For the purpose of this press release the University of Basel would like to post several photos of “bird-eating praying mantises” on the University’s internet website. Is it okay with you if the University of Basel is using Randy Anderson’s photo(s)? Randy Anderson and “What’s that bug” will of course be given full credit for this. I would greatly appreciate if you would give me a feedback very soon!
    Thank you very much for your time and support!
    Kind regards,
    Martin

PD Dr. Martin Nyffeler
    Senior Lecturer in Zoology
    University of Basel
    Section of Conservation Biology
    St. Johanns-Vorstadt 10
    CH-4056 Basel
    Switzerland

Thanks Martin,
      We look forward to receiving the pdf in the future and we hope we will be able to post a link to it on our site.

5. Hello! I’m a reporter with the website Live Science, and I’m writing an article about Dr. Nyffeler’s study. Could we please use Mr. Anderson’s photos to accompany the article, with attribution to WhatsThatBug.com and the photographer?

Thanks and best regards,
    Mindy Weisberger
    Senior Writer, Live Science

6. Dear bugman,

I would also like to use this picture to report about Dr. Nyffeler’s study on the homepage of our bioscientific magazine http://www.biospektrum.de. Is this possible? We would of course credit Mr. Anderson and WhatsThatBug.com.

Thank you very much and best regards,
    Anna-Maria Huber, BIOspektrum

7. Hi,

My name is Rodrigo Rivas, currently I work in Naturalia, A.C.

Naturalia, A.C. is a non-profit organization founded in 1990 (in México), whose mission is to develop projects promoting the conservation of species and ecosystems in Mexico, through environmental education and field activities.

One of Naturalia’s Environmental Education projects is Especies, Magazine on Conservation and Biodiversity. This publication seeks to allow people to know wildlife in our country and the importance of its conservation; it has been in distribution, nation-wide every three months, for the last fifteen years.

In the next edition we are preparing a article about hummingbirds. In order to properly illustrate the section, we are considering your excellent photos if possible. The credit for the pictures will be published exactly as you request: Full Name, Alias, Last Name, etc…

We will send a link to download the article with the published photograph.

My mail is: diseno@naturalia.org.mx

To download our last edition
    http://www.revistaespecies.ga

Thank you in advance for your support.
    Best Regards,