Stick insect on the run!
Location: Toledo, OH
Dear Bugman McBugerson,
I have NEVER SEEN A STICK INSECT BEFORE! I was so excited I think even my dog was frightened of me. For some reason, even though I try to be so observant, I’d never seen one! I always assumed they were tropical or something. And he RAN! I wouldn’t expect these guys to be fast! And while he certainly wasn’t fast enough for me to lose sight of, he was surprisingly quick! Not agile though, slipped a few times. I was just so thrilled, it was amazing! I’m a little bummed that nobody with me seemed to be as amazed as I was, but I feel like it was the best thing that has happened all week! Hope you enjoy him. Maybe you’ll enjoy my enthusiasm!
Signature: Katy

Northern Walkingstick

Dear Katy,
Your enthusiasm is positively infectious.  This appears to be a male Northern Walkingstick,
Diapheromera femorata. According to BugGuide:  “Foliage of deciduous trees and shrubs, especially oaks and hazelnuts” and “This species is native to the US and Canada. It is the most common species of Phasmid in North America.  When very numerous, they can severely defoliate trees.”  Even when they are common, they can be difficult to spot because of their excellent camouflage shape and coloration.

Northern Walkingstick

Location: Ohio