Strange bug
Location: Slovakia, Central Europe
October 3, 2011 7:52 am
First of all sorry if I make any mistake, I am not from English speaking country.
So to the point, this bug started appearing right after our building got renovated. I`ve never seen this kind of a bug in my whole life and now it is everywhere. It is getting really annoying to get rid of them many times a day. Just out of sheer curiosity, what kind of bug is it and/or how can I possibly get rid of them?
Signature: Thank you, Lukas Brath

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Lukas,
Your English is perfectly understandable.  We can tell you for certain that this is a Leaf Footed Bug in the genus
Leptoglossus, and we are relatively certain that it is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug is native to the Pacific Northwest, and beginning in the 1970s, it began to expand its range across North America in the northern latitudes.  While it doesn’t seem to be much of a problem in its native range, once it became established in other areas, people began to complain that it entered homes to hibernate as the weather began to cool.  We learned that in the early years of the 21st millenium, the Western Conifer Seed Bugs was accidentally introduced to Europe and is has become established there as well.
There is much information on the spread of the Western Conifer Seed Bug in Europe available on the internet, including a scholarly article entitled “Will the invasive western conifer seed bug
Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann (Hemiptera:  Heteroptera: Coreidae) seize all of Europe” by Jerzy A. Lis, Barbara Lis & Jerzy Gubernator.  That article begins with the compelling statement:  “In our day, thanks to high-speed transport systems, people are moving living species (intentionally or not) across ecosystems and countless borders.  As we know, most introduced species usually do not survive, because they find neither a tolerable environment nor an available ecological niche.  Sometimes, successful establishment may also require multiple introductions (Balcom 2004).”   You should be able to find all the information you desire now that you know this is a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

Location: Slovakia