Brownish and black flying beetle?
Location: Tampa Florida
Hello! I found this bug on my porch and managed to snap a picture before he flew away. I was hoping you could tell me what this bug is. The huge antennas and the bug itself really amazed me.
Signature: Thank you, Amy Ryan

Horse Bean Longhorn Beetle

Dear Amy,
We could have written you sooner with a general family identification since we were able to determine that this is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, but we thought your beetle was distinctive enough that we could easily identify it to the species level, however that proved to be more difficult than we anticipated.  We eventually matched your individual to images of the Horse Bean Longhorn Beetle or Long Jawed Longhorn Beetle,
Trachyderes mandibularis, based on photos posted to BugGuide.  The wood boring larvae feed in hackberry, fig and citrus trees.  We only have a few other images of the Horse Bean Longhorn Beetle in our archives.

Location: Florida