unknown arachnid
Location: Montgomery, Illinois (near Aurora)
I sent you some pictures early in September of an arachnid that I could not identify. I have not yet seen a post of my picture or letter, but I have since found on your website a similar arachnid (posted March 5 this year) identified as a long-jawed orbweaver spider, and the photo from Bug Guide which you referred to in that post showed more clearly the resemblance. I am sending you another picture of my arachnid; there are some differences in that the body marking are different and the forelegs of my arachnid appear to be a bit longer. The plant it is shown on is a milkweed.
Signature: wildflower photog

Longjawed Orbweaver

Dear wildflower photog,
We apologize for not responding to your earlier email, because we would have surely posted the photos had we seen them.  Alas, our tiny staff hasn’t the time to even read all the submissions we receive.  You are correct that this is a Longjawed Orbweaver, but there are numerous species in the genus
Tetragnatha.  We have just identified your individual as Tetragnatha elongata, and it is a near perfect match to this photo posted to BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, it is a wide ranging species in North America.

Longjawed Orbweaver

Location: Illinois