Moth?
Location: Griffith Park, Los Angeles, CA
September 28, 2011 1:01 am
I was at Griffith Park in Los Angeles with my son when we spotted this winged insect. In person, the bug looked like a moth with very sharp, jagged wings. In the picture the wings appear much more translucent and less jagged than they did in person. Please help identify.
Thank you!!
Signature: Curious Bug Mama

Bee Fly: Xenox habrosus

Dear Curious Bug Mama,
At first we thought this might be a Tiger Bee Fly,
Xenox tigrinus, but we learned on BugGuide that the Tiger Bee Fly is an eastern species.  We believe this is its western relative, Xenox habrosus, which is represented on BugGuide with Los Angeles area postings.  Daniel is doing a talk on October 15 at 2 PM at the Lummis Home along the historic Arroyo Parkway (Pasadena Freeway) to benefit the gardens.  The talk is on beneficial bugs and is entitled Butterflies, Bees and Things That Go Bump In The Night.  Since this talk is about local species, you photo, which is of excellent quality, will probably be included in the powerpoint presentation.

2 Responses to Bee Fly

1. s hakala says:

I write about bugs for master gardeners in Maricopa, AZ (Phoenix). I found this bug in my
    yard yesterday and would like to know it’s life cycle, etc., but can’t find anything anywhere.
    Can anyone help? Thanks

We have already provided numerous links within the posting upon which you have commented. We have also supplied a scientific name, which should make your additional research relatively easy.