Any idea what did this?
Location: Ames, IA
Here’s another mystery photo from my cousin in Ames, IA. When I looked at the photo, I couldn’t determine it’s size so couldn’t tell whether it was made by insect or bird. Dinah’s answer is: It was definitely an insect pupae about 1 or 1 1/2 inch long wrapped in an asparagus frond.
I’d very much appreciate it if you could help in any way.
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Mystery Pupa

Hi Anna,
This looks like a pupa, probably a Moth Pupa, and it looks nostalgically familiar.  Our editorial staff seems to remember seeing this mystery thing in the fields in Ohio, but we need to do additional research.  We are going to contact Eric Eaton to see if this looks familiar to him.

Thanks so much for your help.  I know you go above and beyond for me and now you’re helping my wonderful Iowa cousins also!
Anna

Location: Iowa

2 Responses to Mystery Pupa on Asparagus

1. Skip Wheeler says:

My sea green junipers in my front yard are being destroyed by some unknown pest that I would assume to be a moth/caterpillar. There are many brown hanging appendages on the branches. When I squeeze one, something inside the pod pops. So I assume it must be a larvae pouch, but my junipers are dying. Does anyone have a suggestion what I could use to prevent this from getting any worse? Thanks. This problem is happening in Oklahoma City.