What’s this bug, please?
Location: Central Virginia
Looked and could not find this one id’d anywhere. Any idea what it might be?
Signature: Kkildea

Red Legged Purseweb Spider

Dear Kkildea,
Your photo has really brightened our day.  This is a male Red Legged Purseweb Spider,
Sphodros rufipes, and only the males have the signature red legs.  Females rarely leave their pursewebs, and the males wander about in search of a mate.  When we first ran a post on this species in 2003, we reported that they were considered rare and possibly endangered.  Most of our reports come in June, so this September sighting is unusual.  Purseweb Spiders are primitive spiders related to Tarantulas and Trapdoor Spiders, and they are not considered to be dangerous to humans. 

Location: Virginia

5 Responses to Rare Sighting: Male Red Legged Purseweb Spider

1. theadob says:

My friend Kathy posted this for me. It was found in South Point, Ohio a couple weeks ago.

2. theadob says:

Midst of what I read about this species was that it’s an 8 legged spider. This had 10 legs. Is it still the same type.

Thanks for the additional information. The pedipalps are the fifth pair of appendages, but they are not true legs. They are usually black, not red Also, your photo was taken on a reflective surface which may be confusing you.

3. Kenneth brewington says:

I live in Leland nc. I just found a red legged spider should we kill it.