Wolf or Fishing Spider?
Location: Southeastern, Ontario
September 18, 2011 6:58 am
Dear Bugman, I keep finding these large spiders around my backyard, usually around the pool or the deck. This one was around the patio doors. I would just like to have it idendified and find out if they would harm a child if bitten. Thank you.
Signature: curiousbugperson

Fishing Spider

Dear curiousbugperson,
This is most assuredly a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes, and in our opinion, it is Dolomedes tenebrosus based on information posted to BugGuide.  According to the information that is available, this is a harmless species, though we would not discount the possibility that one of these shy and docile Fishing Spiders might be provoked into biting a person.

Location: Canada

4 Responses to Fishing Spider

1. Robert says:

I live in Franklin, TN. I was fishing on the Harpeth river casting across and noticed a huge (relative to what I normally see) spider on a tree trunk growing out of the water. It was only a few inches from the water and I noticed it as it moved when my lure (a floating jig) hit the water about a foot from where it was perched. It was brownish-gray and seemed to match the tree bark closely. It had a round, flat abdomen about the size of a silver dollar. Total length was about 2.5 – 3.5 inches. I assume it is either a Huntsman or Fishing spider?

2. Robert says:

Thank you. I appreciate it. How big can they get when fully mature?