Bugs in our bushes
Location: Chattanooga, TN
My wife found these bugs when she was trimming our bushes. They bit her and were very painful. I have never seen these insects before. To me, they look like tiny formula 1 racecars. They were very small.
Signature: RalphyZ

Lace Bug

Dear RalphyZ,
You have Lace Bugs in the family Tingidae.  There are many similar looking species, but your individual looks close to the Hawthorn Lace Bug,
Corythucha cydoniae pictured on bugGuide.  The information page for the family on BugGuidesays nothing about them biting, but it does indicate they “Feed mainly on leaves of trees and shrubs, causing yellow spotting and sometimes browning and death of the leaves.”  Many plant feeding Hemipterans are capable of biting humans since they have mouths designed for piercing and sucking, however, most of these True Bugs and other Hemipterans do not feed off of humans.

Lace Bugs

Location: Tennessee