PLEASE HELP! Polyphemus Moth caterpillar
Location: Santa Clara California
found a huge (3-4”) caterpillar on my driveway, also, and am thrilled to have such great I.D. info here — but now what do I do now? B4 I knew what it was I put on grass (didn’t seem happy) so put on dry ground under agapanthus (still doesn’t seem happy). From your info looks like it’s ready to pupate BUT NO INFO ON WHERE THEY NEED TO DO THIS — we have many birds, raccoons, leaf-blowing gardeners etc. Also have many types of trees, (deciduous/not) I’m a wild bird and animal friend/feeder and would like very much to help this creepy guy learn to fly. Can you tell me where to put him? Found yesterday,9/13 and he’s still in the dry ground under aga. Santa Clara Ca, temperate clime THANK YOU!!
Signature: ??? What to DO????

Polyphemus Caterpillar

The Polyphemus Caterpillar will spin a loose cocoon incorporating a leaf.  Sometimes the dried leaf camouflage cocoon of the Polyphemus Moth stays attached to the branch, but it more readily drops to the ground to pass the winter in the leaf litter.