have never seen this one!
Location: central alberta canada
September 13, 2011 12:25 am
Hi there! My name is Rik.I live in kamloops BC canada,and have been working in Hinton Alberta Canada.On sept 12th 5pm i had gone into a bank whereby I had noticed a rather large insect on the inside window ledge.The insect was about 3 inches in length..i wonder what it is? Thank you …rik
Signature: rik in alberta canada

Giant Wood Wasp

Hi rik,
This is a Giant Wood Wasp,
Urocerus gigas, a species that is found in Eurasia as well as North America.  What appears to be a stinger is actually an ovipositor.  Because the larvae are wood borers, they can be spread and introduced to new locations by the shipping of wood products.  See BugGuide for additional information.

Location: Canada

8 Responses to Giant Wood Wasp

1. Steve says:

I found one of these in Ontario, is that normal?

2. Bill says:

Saw what looks like the photo with a little bit more yellow. Body about 2″ long with a stinger like appendage about 1″ long. Do these exist in Colorado?

3. Carla Hamel says:

found one at lodgepole lake near kamloops bc…ugly bug

4. Debra says:

I saw one today at Christina Lake Campground in Conklin Alberta. I had no idea what it was! At least 3” in length! I do have a picture but not sure how to put it on here.

5. David says:

I have found 2 this year .